i've used them, and buried some in walls. They depend on a polymer seal. I have not seen a polymer last much more than 30 years.

They are convenient as all get out.

They are expensive.

I don't think we will know for sure how good they are for 20-50 years.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
April 15, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Anyone ever use these?

After being away for a week at a security conference, the spouse was kind enough to point out soggy carpet in the back bedroom right next to the wall where a shower is located on the other side when I arrived home. I cut out some drywall and found a CPVC fitting wth a crack that was dripping water - thankfully not a full blown break in the pipe.

It was at a transition between the CPVC and copper going to the shower valve, so I went to my local ACE looking for a some fittings and a coupe of service valves that I could put in line. They sold me a “SharkBite” ball valve ($20) that purportedly just gets pushed on to the cutoff CPVC and seals.

I followed the instructions and it worked like a champ. I’m still a little skeptical, as I hate doing plumbing repairs as I always have nightmares about waking up in the middle of the night to the sound of running water…

Has anyone used the SharkBite fittings, and if so, what were your thoughts/opinions/experiences?

-D