That seller sounds a bit of a jerk. He thinks that on Thursday, he's going
to get $300 or $400 from a junkyard, more like $100 I'll bet.  "...but
since $1,000 is a good price for this, I will not come down on principle,
if someone waits until the last day to pay $400 just because that is how
much the junk yard will give me."

I'd park across the street from the seller's house, find out what junkyard
it goes to, and then purchase it from them for less than $1k I'll bet.

Max
Charleston SC