I have owned cars with both salvage and rebuilt titles. Different states treat
the terms differently, so you have to be careful.

The real problem is trying to insure a car with a salvage title.

Some insurers won't touch them, as they consider the car a total loss and
without value. Others will insure them, but only for the personal
injury/liability parts. No collision or comp.

A car with a rebuilt title should be treated as a "regular" car, but again
different insurers treat these differently. My 1997 SL500 has a rebuilt title.
It was totaled and rebuilt by the PO. It had to be thoroughly inspected by the
State and given a permit of roadworthiness before it could be titled and
registered. It is insured no differently than any regular car, with collision
and comprehensive insurance.

Buying with a salvage title can save you a boatload of money if you know the
provenance of the vehicle. In the case of my former S500 coupe I bought from
Tarek, the car had a salvage title because a mom in a Land Rover clipped his
right front fender. He got an estimate from the local dealer for the repairs
and his insurer wanted to write the car off. He let them, bought the car back,
took the money and had it repaired elsewhere for a lot less money. So now the
car is perfectly fine, yet it has a salvage title.  That diminishes value
significantly, which is the reason why an insurer won't typically cover a car
with a salvage title.

An aside: when I brought the S500 into Florida, they presented a title with
nothing indicating the car was a former salvage title from another state. I
asked why and was told that it didn't matter to them as the VIN was in the
national database for totaled/salvage vehicles. So I could have sold it and not
disclosed that it was a salvage vehicle if the buyer didn't ask. If they didn't
look at the national database they wouldn't have known either...

-D