I am having trouble getting the bulbs to behave in the cluster on Allen.

The things have never responded to the rheostat when I turned the headlights
on.  The rest of the stuff is also not really making photons.  The fiber optic
stuff does not seem to make light on the cluster, but the radio and ashtray
light up.

I pulled the cluster a few days ago and gave it a test.  The rheostat is not
working, as the spring unrolled and did not make decent contact anyway.  I used
the multimeter to chase things.  Used 12v to see where electrons flowed.  They
seemed to flow enough between ground and spots on the rheostat.  They flow
across the ground strap on the cluster.  They flow well enough to put power to
the ground and apply to the the spot on the board at the bulbs both light up.
But, I can not figure out where the electrons are falling off.

Anybody ever have this happen?

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei
1982 300 SD - Allen

retired models-
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers