Pull it out and compare the length to a new one.

Problematic.  I'd need another chain to run in as a placeholder
(unless I really want to make the chain job harder), _and_ a
new chain to measure.  I have neither, though I might be able
to use the dead/rusty chain from the thrown-rod 190D or the
one I changed out of the SDL that is now weighing down the
cupholder in the SL...  Still leaves me shy one new chain
measurement though.

I'd think a 20deg chain would flop sideways nearly as well
as it bent in the normal direction.

Look inside the hump of the valve cover. Any grooves?

Clean.

Aluminum in the oil?

Would need to drain I guess.

Is the chain sloppy enough to move by hand?

I can press in a bit over the chain guide that's
by the tensioner, so it's not taut there.

You could do the not recommended and turn the engine backwards after
overshooting by some and have a look see.

I'll try that.  I can do lots of stuff, but it ought to be
obvious by now that I don't know what I'm doing.  Yet!

-- Jim