From: Floyd Thursby [mailto:buggeredbenzm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 8:32 AM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Mountain Lions, was Okies...

8 yr ago right after we moved here I was fixing my tea one morning and looked
out the back window where I saw this large black animal walking along the edge
of the marsh about 100-150ft away.  At first I thought it was a big dog like a
black lab or something but then I realized it was a LOT bigger, and was walking
like a cat.  WTF?  Then I noticed it had a big bushy tail, but only half a
tail, looked like the other half had been cut off.  I guess the whole thing was
about 6ft long.  I continued to watch it (and didn't have a camera handy) as it
walked on then into the swampy area next to the house.  I lost sight of it in
the brush.

Next morning I was sitting upstairs in my office and I see 30 or 40 vultures
flying around in the trees and going down to the ground in the woods.  A bit
later I went out to see what was going on and I found a half-eaten big deer in
the woods about 150ft from the house.  The back legs had been taken off, the
bones were sheared at about a 45deg angle like a really sharp knife had cut
them.  I went poking around and managed to trace back the cat's path, seeing
the tracks in the swampy area and along the edge of the marsh where I had seen
it.  It had walked along the "back yard" about 200yd, sticking to the edge of
the marsh and the swampy area.  I surmised that it had hung around and got that
deer during the night, or maybe had stirred it up during the morning when I saw
it as I had seen deer out there and had found a spot where they seemed to be
lying down for the day back in a thicket along the other side of the swampy
area.

The morning after I saw it I sent an email to this wildlife biologist I had
met, he worked for DNR, and asked him about black panthers around here as I
thought I had seen one.  He rang me up a bit later and we talked, he was
telling me what I had seen was a bobcat, there were "melanistic" bobcats that
looked almost black. I told him this thing was a LOT bigger than a bobcat, I
had seen bobcats around too, and this was no bobcat.  So we sorta left it at
that.

Next day after I took some pics of the paw prints, I sent them to him.
I had put my tape measure down next to them, they were a good 3"-3.5"
across.  A bobcat is maybe 2" and I had seen bobcat tracks often up in the sand
in the driveway, and out in front of the house on occasion.  He rang me back
and we talked about that, he says, "The official position of DNR is that there
are no black panthers in the area."  So I say yeah well what was this thing
then -- it was black, it was a cat, it took down a full-grown deer, it has paws
as big as my palm, and I saw it.  He says, "Well you saw what you saw."  I knew
he was spouting the party line, which I understand if you work for the state
you do what the state tells you to do.

A bit later I went into this hunting/fishing shop on the island to get some
fishing line or something, there were a coupla good ol boys in there looking at
guns, talking hunting.  So I ask them and the proprietor if they knew of black
panthers around the area, and I tell them my story which got them all hot.  One
of them tells me that he has seen deer up in trees while out hunting on
Wadmalaw (the next island over), the big cats take them up there to keep them
away from other critters, have a stash to come back and eat over a coupla days.
 Good enough for me...  He proceeds to tell me that some guy on Wadmalaw some
years before had caught one (somehow) and it became something of a spectacle.
DNR found out about it and came and got it and took it away.

Then later on some power company guys come back to the house to do something,
so I get talking to them, tell them my story, and they start telling me that
they occasionally see them, other guys see them, but no one believes them.
They have occasion to go back in the woods, down dirt roads and such like my
driveway, and they will come upon the cats lying in the roads sunning
themselves. One guy tells me they had to finally get out of the truck one day
to go scare the thing off, it would not move out of their way. So, yeah, they
are around.

Later on I find out that a few years prior, this development down the road ran
into a whole big controversy because people knew there were black panthers
around the area and developing it would run them off.  I guess they are
protected or something (they aren't Florida panthers, those are a lot smaller
than these things) so that was the basis for the issues.  DNR ruled they
weren't around because if they had acknowledged their presence that would have
brought a halt to development which of course the developers and corruptocrats
would not allow.  So there you go.

Again sometime later there was a scheme to build a road across the island, the
County hired an environmental firm to do a survey.  I went to a meeting about
it and after asked the biologist if he knew of any panthers around.  He says oh
yeah they are around, but they aren't "native" they are likely descendants of
pets or something that people had let go or they had escaped. I heard stories
too that like back in the 50s there used to be a train line across the island,
and a circus train that was going into Charleston had derailed and a bunch of
the animals, including big cats, had escaped.  Most of them were hunted down,
but the lore is that some got away and lived and reproduced.

So anyway I know these things exist around here back in the woods.  We had a
dead smallish deer out in front of the house under some bushes one day, I saw
tracks that looked like a bobcat mama and 2 babies.  The deer really didn't
have any marks on it but looked like claw marks on the rear haunches.  I
dragged it off into the woods, next day it was all covered with leaves and half
eaten.  Next day it was completely eaten.

As far as snakes and ticks and other things, we have copperheads and rattlers
and cottonmouths and all manner of other snakes, venomous and not.  I saw a
king snake one day, they like to eat copperheads! Rat snakes that climb trees,
hognose snakes that play dead. green snakes, coral snakes (and the ones that
look almost like them but aren't venomous), corn snakes, black racers...  I
have a coupla copperhead skins I took off some I found dead in the driveway, I
think my wife ran over them when she left early in the morning for work.
Deciding what to make with them.  I keep an eye out when I am walking around
anywhere, don't want to step on one. Careful too when moving anything in the
woods or my firewood pile, people around get bitten when doing that, the snakes
like up in the woodpile.  This morning the turkeys outside my windows were
making quite a racket, on Sunday I was working on my truck out front and a
turkey ran across about 15ft from me, not sure which of us was more startled to
see the other.  A coupla guys who work for the electric company got 2 a few
weeks back right out front in the woods, they were big.  I had seen one in the
driveway one morning, it was gobbling like crazy every morning, so I told them
and one of the boys got it in about 10 min after setting up.  Came back a week
later and the other boy got one pretty quick too.  And yesterday I noticed this
object on the floor on the dog porch, I take a look and it is a little
diamondback turtle one of the dogs must have found and brought in...  I took it
back out and let it go.  I think they are nesting about now.  Oh and gators, we
got gators.  When they're on the move they can be anywhere.  A few years back I
was working in the garage and I hear this WHOOOMWHOOOOM coming from out in the
marsh about 50 ft away.  I go out there to see what it might be, and I hear
this whoomping growling sound coming from not far away.  I ease over that way
and see the needlerush moving around, something fairly large down in there.  I
decided maybe it was time to go back to my work, later on I looked up on the
internets what it might be and it was a gator bellowing trying to find a
lady...
I'm guessing this wasn't a big one, maybe a 6footer or so, but big enough.  I
have seen some 12footers hanging around ponds around here, so there are some
big boys too.

As far as squirrels -- my pellet gun works wonders on the things when they are
feeding off the feeders my wife likes to fill, but several generations on now
they have gotten smart to me when I pick the gun up and run off fast.  My
Gullah neighbors are always shooting the things with shotguns, they like to
cook them up and eat the brains as a delicacy.  I leave mine for the other
critters to nosh on, they seem to get recycled pretty quickly.  We have quite a
crop this year but I have not popped any lately.

Life on the fringe of America!

--R

On 5/26/17 1:50 AM, clay via Mercedes wrote:
> A few years back, BiL, a few of his friends, and I were out hunting upper
> central WA.  I was bear tag, the others were doing archery deer.  The first
> morning was a trial and error, to see how things were working out, as there
> had been a large  wild fire the year before where they normally hunt, and
> targets were going to be scarce, so may as well see how it impacted the area.
>  We did a number of location changes to figure out where to get serious for
> the next few days.  The women folk stayed at the cabin and tormented the
> children or were shopping, I forget which.
>
> Late afternoon the second day, we were tracking a through and through.  At
> least the guy who normally shoots things in the leg was not with us.  Good
> initial trail, but then it went coldish.  Maybe the deer found a buddy to
> patch him up.  We split up to follow possible trails, looking for blood.  BiL
> thought he had a good trace, and I was keeping fairly close by in case
> something interesting took place.
>
> It kind of did.  While I was on one end of the creek, BiL thought he heard
> the deer about 100 yards away, and wanted to be as silent at possible, so I
> stayed put and tried to see it with binocs.  Turned out he found cougar
> spoor, and went off after the cat, in case the cat had found trace of the
> deer.  I remained put, and got on the radio to alert the others about our new
> adventure and to have them meet up with me, so we could fan out and flush
> either beast.
>
> Meanwhile BiL is deep in the undergrowth on the trail of Mr. Big Cat.  He
> also is being radio silent as much as possible, so as not to spook critters.
> The rest of us took positions 200 yards apart on his sides and behind him.
> Where we ended up wandering further off track, because BiL thought the cat
> had doubled back.  Which it had.  Bypassing all of us, and began stalking BiL
> for the next hour.
>
> Dang deer knew we were all out, and hid underground until sunset.  Then, they
> all sprouted as if from thin air and could be found thirty deep in the
> fields.  BTW, the bears were waddling down the river, which the cabin was
> overlooking.  Middle of the day, lunch time excitement for the kids and women
> folk.
>

> clay
>
> 2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
> 1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
> 1986 SDL - Polei
> 1982 300 SD - Allen
>
> retired models-
> 1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
> 1972 220D - Gump - She was green, simple and ran
> 1995 E300D - Gave her life to save me against a Dame in a SUV POS 1987
> SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers
>

>> On May 25, 2017, at 7:11 PM, Greg Fiorentino via Mercedes
>> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>>
>> We live along Cougar Creek in SW WA. This is indeed Cougar country. There
>> have been many sightings during the nearly 20 years we've been here, more
> [...]

--FT
Winston Churchill:
Â"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large
or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.
Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the
enemy.Â"