Wanted to give you folks an update on the solar at camp. As a reminder we've
got 2x 100w panels, 2x 35ah lead acid wheelchair batteries and 1x 110ah deep
cycle battery.The charge controller is a 30a Windy Nation. Our solar siting is
poor but improving as we do some logging, still need to cut some smaller spruce
trees right next to the camp.
Drains, all are listed at 12v:Ceiling fan ~2aRange hood with light, 4a12v
lights in bunks, 4x@.25a each so 1a12v light over sink, .5a110v light over
table 2aoutside light, 1a
Total: 10.5a
That doesn't include cell phones, tablets, camera batteries, etc. In actual use
I've never seen us go over 6a. I've never seen charging input go over 4a but
I've never been there in high summer.
So far we're doing well, since we upgraded the system with the second panel and
big battery last year we've never dipped under 12v even with the added load of
the 12v lighting.
The 12v lights are fantastic, very little draw, no need for the inverter and
our AA battery budget has dropped to almost zero. There are still some in use
for flashlights but not many per year.
Dad bought an additional panel but we haven't installed it, a robin built a
nest on the battery box and we didn't want to disturb her. We'll get to it in
July. He wants to add another 110ah battery so we can run a water pump, its
getting hard for my folks to lug water from the pond. Also on the list of
projects is to run power to the garage for lighting, its pretty dark in there...
-Curt