The connector is used on the electronic transmissions of that vintage and is an
easy and important fix.  An O ring in the original connector fails and allows
ATF to “wick” up the wiring harness from capillary action.  I have heard of
ECUs being damaged from the ATF making it all the way up to the “coffin” box
via the transmission harness.

It’s a whopping $12 at the dealer for the part, and takes maybe all of 5
minutes to swap.

-D