Uh, not to be a buzzkill, but 316 stainless would be multiples of the price
of regular steel tubing. Stainless is also not as strong, requiring
different scantlings for the wall thickness and probably different overall
tubing dimensions for stiffness. Add to that the complexity of welding it,
which would require a tig setup, considerable skill, and a dual flowgauge
regulator to back purge. And the fact that you need some excellent drill
bits and a super saw to have any prayer of getting through it. Most stuff
like this would be 304, but in reality for weight and other reasons
aluminum is the way to go. I bought an ACE out of Florida 10,000lb with
stainless surge brakes for the rib and have not regretted it.

If you go regular cold rolled, which you should, wash it out with solvent
and then dump a quart or two of primer inside after it is welded. Flip/tilt
the frame to coat the inside. Make sure there is a way for the water to get
out.