Matter of personal experience, however, I prefer the spark gap version
because it lets me see the physical spark condition, which can gives
valuable information.

ie:
Is the spark a thick fat blue spark?  Healthy
Is the spark thin and yellow, ie weak looking.. Not healthy.. likely points
are corroded, to close, or dwell is not set correctly.

etc etc etc....  From the era before OBD II and computer controls with
electric fuel injectors... and when you had to be a "real mechanic".... ;)))