That would be a fairly simple thing to test. I've had similar motors with the
same symptoms. Some had dead spots in the commutator that could be diagnosed by
manually spinning or moving the fan with the power on.
Also a long jumper cord with a moderate size fuse, attached to the battery, and
touched to the fan leads is a fairly simple test thats often worthwhile before
getting into the control electronics.
Gerry

Andrew wrote:
> Blower motor itself, based on my 28 years of experience with 123s.
>
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Dan--- via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
>
> > He's got a new regulator and the other box (I forget what it's called)
> > that's mounted up next to regulator, however, he doesn't want to just throw
> > parts at the problem.
> >
> > Are you saying the issue is with the motor itself or you just had problems
> > with the system in general?
> >
> > -D
> >
> > > On Jul 24, 2017, at 3:04 PM, Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll take his problems away for $500.
> > >
> > > Seriously:  I struggled with these blower motors on and off.  It's
> > simplest to swap it out with a good used one.  Or, I can sell him another
> > blower motor regulator for not much $$.

> > 1985 300TD, would appreciate any suggestions/ideas, etc.

> > blower motor will either not start up or shut off arbitrarily without any
> > interaction on the part of the driver.  He discovered that if he struck the
> > dash with his hand/fist when the blower stopped it would start up again.

> > The motor continued to operate intermittently.  Brushes were checked and
> > found to be in good condition within plenty of material left.

> > time to commit to this at present due to career and family. He's trying to
> > minimize time spent sorting this out.

---
http://www.avg.com