If you get one with good data logging, you can view the results on a computer.
Like my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.

If it senses and responds to your Apnea/Hypoapnea events, you can adjust the
prescription over time for the best results. I was prescribed 9-12 CM of water
for pressure levels. I ended up setting it as a CPAP instead of an autopap, 7cm
works perfectly for me. When I went in for my 3 month checkup and they took the
SD card out of my machine, the doctor came in a while later, and said "has
anybody changed the settings on your machine?"
(you can see every RX change and when it was made, and I'd made a lot of them
as I was zeroing in on the best pressure).
I told him that twice in the first week I woke up with the pressure at 12, my
mouth open, air rushing in my nose and out my mouth, none going to  my lungs,
feeling like I was going to die. After the 2nd time I lowered the max pressure
out of self defense. He just said it looked like it was working great where I
had it set, he wished every patient was that engaged in their treatment.

If you travel a lot, it's good to have a small machine, like mine.
If you sleep away from the power grid, it's good to have one that runs on 12v,
unlike mine which runs on 24 volt and needs a power adapter to run off a car
battery.

Back in October, my machine was considered the best one on the market. Well,
the AS 10 for her is slightly better, it has his and hers modes, some people,
male and female, get better results with the female response curves, the normal
model just has the manly mode, the female model (white instead of black
housing) has both modes and costs the same.
If you want a specific machine, just have your Dr prescribe that exact thing.
My Rx is for an auto responding machine with data logging, and my DME (durable
medical equipment supplier) supplied me with the exact machine I was going to
ask them for (I didn't know about the for her model then).

My dad got a new machine last month, he has Cheney-Stokes and had a $3900 VPAP,
his new one is a special version of my machine that's a step above VPAP but
only costs about $1700.

Mine is price-fixed at $883, but if your insurance isn't paying for the whole
thing you can find demos/open box/etc for around $500. My insurance pays the
DME $76 a month for ten months on a rent to own plan, after ten months I own
it. Final payment should have been a couple of weeks ago, I suppose I should
call them and verify it's mine now.
They're supposed to supply everything needed to keep it running while I'm
renting it, but the jerks would only give me what the insurance company will
let them bill extra for, they wanted me to pay them for air filters because
they were supposed to be included in the rent but they wanted to be paid extra
for them, so I just bought extra filters online. If my insco wasn't paying less
than list for the thing I would have made an official complaint over trying to
bill me for filters.

The top two discussion forums are
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/
http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html