There is some advanced stuff out there, including this stuff that recently surfaced in the press about "Blackstar" a 2-stage to orbit system that has apparently been in operation for several years. There is also the liquid methane-fueled Aurora hypersonic recon aircraft, also in operation for some time...

Ya think I could run Brunnhilde on methylcyclohexane? What kind of oil would I use? Could I make in the garage from used paint?

--R

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_awst_story.jsp?id=news/030606p1.xml

Two-Stage-to-Orbit 'Blackstar' System Shelved at Groom Lake?

WORK ON THE ORBITER moved at a relatively slow pace until a "fuel breakthrough" was made, workers were told. Then, from 1990 through 1991, "we lived out there. It was a madhouse," a technician said. The new fuel was believed to be a boron-based gel having the consistency of toothpaste and high-energy characteristics, but occupying less volume than other fuels.

Here's some more:  http://www.fas.org/irp/mystery/aurora.htm

Keeping an aircraft sufficiently cool during extreme speeds is a primary challenge of hypersonic flight. According to studies done by General Dynamics and Boeing, an aircraft travelling at between Mach 5.5 and Mach 6 would have an average skin temperature of approximately 1100-1300 degrees Fahrenheit.<66> One potential solution incorporated in the Air Force studies, also being explored by researchers at NASA's Langley Research Center and Wright-Patterson Air Force base,<67> is the use of Methylcyclohexane (MCH) as both the fuel and the thermal management medium of the vehicle.

MCH has several advantages over other possible hydrocarbon or cryogenic fuels. Unlike standard hydrocarbon fuels, MCH has a very high capacity to absorb heat prior to combustion, up to 1800 Btu per pound of fuel, which is ten times the capacity of most hydrocarbon fuels.<68> Cryogenic Methane and Hydrogen have high heat absorbtion capacities as well, but their use as an aviation fuel is limited by the logistical difficulties of handling, storage and fuel boil off.<69>

The principle behind MCH thermal management is based on a catalytic reaction transforming MCH into Toluene and Hydrogen, which are then used to fuel the aircraft:<70>

A fuel pump pressurizes the fuel to... avoid boiling. The preheater heats the fuel to the proper reaction temperature while removing heat from a secondary coolant...After preheating, the fuel passes through the catalytic heat exchanger/ reactor...

The secondary coolant, Syltherm, circulates to the hot spots to maintain skin temperatures to within specified tolerances.<71>

One aerospace journal says that an aircraft travelling at Mach 6 would be inside the combustion envelope of a subsonic-combustion ramjet. It suggests that the aircraft would thus need an accelerator to get it moving. One type of accelerator would be a ducted-rocket cycle into the engine. A fuel-rich, liquid rocket exhaust would be injected into a ramjet duct, pumping air through it even at rest. A second combustion then takes place, using atmospheric oxygen.<72> (This second combustion could produce the loud rumbling noises heard recently in California, discussed below).

Frederick Moir wrote:

Hi, All.
 You lot are making me feel ancient. JP4 was "the latest thing" when I was in
the R.A.F.
 We had AvGas (100+ octane aviation fuel) AvCat, AvTag, AvTur and other NATO
stuff, all long gone by now. What comes next, a space ship with a deck full of
peanut plants to fuel an alternate fuel space drive?
 Sorry I'm a day late, got run over by a soy eating moose!
 Fred Moir
 Lynn MA
 #2 fueled Klatta Klatta.

  • [MBZ] Jet Fuel Frederick Moir
    • Re: [MBZ] (Scram/Ram)Jet Fuel -- the latest stuff Rich Thomas