Little tid bit of legal history..

The "Posse Comitatus" law came in to law about 1868 to stop Federal troops
from further actions against Southern civilians as part of the Reparations
following the Civil War.

At that time, and during the time of McArthur / Eisenhower / bonus camp
event, the use of Federal troops against civilians was forbidden. Oops.

Since then, the Posse Comitatus Law has been modified to allow military
force to be used against civilian citizens [feel safe now?].

Overview can be found here: [Suggest further study to know the law fully is
indicated.]

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1251/MR1251.AppD.pdf