Very impressive here in MD - at 85 percent.  Had a bit of cloud cover from
time to time, then a quick shower toward the end but I was able to see the
beginning and end phases.  Even at 85 percent that little sliver of sun is
VERY powerful, so nowhere near pitch dark.  :(  .  The Smithsonian handed
out free glasses which were quite effective.  And the world did NOT end yet.