Before we went to Texas, I updated all of my email files -- all 1140
directories with 70805 files -- from our Linux system onto a USB disk and
then copied them (with a program that reads Linux disks) onto our Win 7
laptop.

I then proceeded to use the laptop while we were in Texas. Since Sylpheed
is ported to both Linux and Windows, it worked well. The only problem I
had was with the directories whose names ended with a dot. Those turned
out to be problematic with the Windows OS loosing track of them and not
being able to read or delete them.

When I came home, I wanted to update our Linux system with the
now-changed files and directories. I installed Cygwin on the laptop. With
it, I was able to delete the directories whose names ended with a dot. I
was also able to use rsync synchronize some of the emails with the Linux
desktop.

When I wanted to copy the directories from the Linux desktop (with names
ending with a dot) I deleted from the laptop, I used a USB flash drive.
With that and with changing file permissions in Cygwin, I have gotten the
mail directories in a confused state such that Sylpheed running in Win 7
cannot write to the directories.

I thought perhaps using scp to copy all the email directories and files
anew from the Linux desktop to the Win 7 would solve the problem, so I
renamed the top email directory and ran scp to perform the copy.

After it finished the copy, I tried Sylpheed again. It still cannot write
to the directory

Is there some way to fix this mess? Hopefully easy?

Thanks,

Craig