But, but, ... but, "everyone knows they go for a Million miles!"

ned kleinhenz via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
October 7, 2017 at 10:17 PM
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-mercedes-benz-300td-2/

I owned the identical twin to the above listed W123 - 300TD starting in
1986.
It was also a white 1980 model with the same reddish brown interior like
this one.
Mine had carpet faded in the same way in the same places and the same sisal
(sp?) floor mats.

Seeing the photos in this BAT listing was a great trip down memory lane.
It was one of my favorite cars.
I personally drove it daily for about 12 years and my kids continued to
drive it several more years after that.
The NA diesel was slow accelerating, and we nicknamed the car Myrtle as my
kids called it Myrtle the Turrtle.
But it handled well and could sure cruise comfortably and quickly on the
highway.

The only upgrades I remember included using "H" rated Michelins and
replacing the Becker radio with a Blaupunkt cassette player.
In retrospect, maintenance was inexpensive, and except for the Chrysler
based HVAC system, nothing ever failed on it. I finally salvaged it when
one of the kids broke a front wheel off in an ice storm. At that time the
car had well over 300,000, probably approaching 400,000 miles on it.
Considering it had around 100,000 miles on it when I bought it, it was
really a good value.

Thanks for the memories,

Ned Kleinhenz 2006 E320 CDI