These are tires are fairly new, the kid I bought the car from had put some new tires on it (they are cheap low-end tires on pimp rims) so unless one actually failed they should be good.  The dealer he got them from is a good shop chain around here so I'm sure they would do good on it if it is bad.  The car has been sitting for awhile before I fixed the aneurysm, I was thinking it had gotten a flat spot or something but this did not happen until maybe 3-40mph and it just came on fast, then slacked as I slowed down, so the caliper hose or belt issue seems more likely.

I pulled the caliper and pushed back the pistons, did not get a chance to take it out and see what is going on but will do that shortly.  If the problem persists I'll order new hoses, or maybe swap on off the knackered 420SEL and see if it works for now until I can get  a new one.  I can also do a front to back tire swap, see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the diagnoses, I would not have thought of those aspects.

==FT