I really wanted to get the original Becker back in my wagon, so I put a WTB
thread up on Benzworld.

Got a response from a guy in Louisiana who had two of them, condition unknown.
I paid shipping ($15) and he sent me the pair. One was sort of ratty and had a
loose “Seek” button, the other looked pretty nice.

Got the codes from the radio code website in Lithuania and powered both up OK.
The nicer one didn’t want to recognize my CD changer for some reason.  The
rattier one did, but it has a really rough volume knob and the typical “turn
the knob and guess where the volume will end up?” issue.

So I started to tinker…

After about 10 minutes of work, I swapped the good faceplate from the nice unit
onto the radio that played nice with the CD changer.  I also noticed that the
volume control on this faceplate had been updated with the newer stepper
switch, so it will never develop the volume control issue.  I cleaned the tape
mechanism - on this radio it looks as if it’s never been used.  Capstans and
rollers were clean, as was the head.

So now I’ve got a fully functional BE 1692 with a CD changer in my 98 E320
wagon.  While it doesn’t sound *quite* as nice as the aftermarket head unit
that had a display that looked like Jimi Hendrix threw up on it, it works great
and all the features are functional.  I just need to find a new volume knob for
it as both of them were kind of ratty.

-D