On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 20:48:47 +0000 Rick Knoble via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> This fall many leaves did not change color. Recently, we had a hard
> freeze and many of them dropped, still being green. Do you have any
> idea what could have caused this anomaly? We had very dry weather in
> September (nearly drought).

Others can answer that question, too ... :-)

Normally temperatures gradually decrease and the tree has opportunity to
shut down supplying nutrients to the leaves so they die and lose their
chlorophyll, which reveals the color of the leaf without the chlorophyll.

If it gets cold quickly, the tree will drop the leaves quickly before
they have a chance to lose their chlorophyll. A strong wind helps in the
process of getting the leaves off the trees.

Craig