I grew up next to a dairy farm (shared property lines, let the cows graze
in our field and eat the extra apples from our orchard) and enjoyed raw
milk from childhood.  Store-bought milk tastes like water to me, very thin,
but I still prefer that over soy or almond "milk".  I suspect that most
people would gag if offered raw milk from a cow, full of cream, with a very
different smell prior to homogenizing.  However, our family doc back then
approved, said the much larger fat molecules were probably harder to digest
so Mom shouldn't worry about that.  I don't know if I agree with that
idea.  I remember when I'd have a friend from town over for dinner, I'd
have to warn them that they may prefer water to milk if they weren't used
to fresh milk.

Once when I was in high school, I took a day job for a (different) neighbor
for one very long day, bailing hay and then loading it into their hay
loft.  At sunset when the work was done for the day, we all washed up with
a garden hose and then were served a huge glass of milk from their milk
cows, straight out of the milk house vat.  Then they fed me dinner (meat
and potatoes and more milk) and then they paid me and sent me on my way.  I
was so physically tired and so full of food that I was worried I would fall
asleep while driving home ('63 Beetle, still six volt system so dim
headlights on dark county roads encouraged slow driving).

Another fond memory is the milk collection truck.  He usually visited our
neighbor every day, despite snow or power outages or anything.  That guy
drove that big truck fast and hard on gravel roads all over the place and I
don't think I every remember him getting stuck or breaking down.  My dad
wasn't too happy with the guy, he wouldn't slow down a bit if you met him
on a gravel road, he expected you to make room and would frequently be
spraying gravel all over the place, so if you had a "nice" car you quickly
learned to get well out of his way.  I remember my dad sometimes going well
off the road into the ditch and stopping the car to let him go by, the
spraying gravel was hell on paint and windows, and then if it was dry you
would be completely enveloped in a cloud of thick dust.

Dairy farmers worked HARD back then.  I haven't visited a real farm in a
long time, probably not too different now.

Max
Charleston SC

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM, OK Don via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com