"John W. Reames III" wrote:

> Depot has a 1/2 drive ratchet with a LONG handle (its close to 20"
> overall). I picked up a set of tiawanese or chinese 1/2 drive hex bits
> (stamped Cr-Va), and a 4 foot length of pipe that fit over the ratchet.
> Slow steady pressure works quite well.

I would rather slip a cheater over a good breaker bar than a cheap ratchet.

I sold my 36" Snap-On breaker for a pittance when I went to grad school, don't
want to pay hundreds to replace it. I made a 1/2" drive 50" breaker bar out of
a 4' piece of 1" galvanized steel pipe, a chunk of 3/4" square bar stock, and
a 3/4" to 1/2" drive impact wrench reducer. The square stock is about 17/16" on
the diagonal, I ground the corners off it at one end and drove it into the pipe
for a tight fit, the pipe got slightly square to fit. I rounded the other end
of the square bar so it would rotate inside the adapter, and used 1/4" grade 8
bolts for the pivot and to bolt the bar stock to the pipe. It's held up quite
nicely over the years, sometimes under enough stress to flex the 3/4" bar stock.
Pic attached.