> On December 10, 2017 at 7:46 PM Dan Penoff via Mercedes
> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>  I may graduate to different grips and a raised mainspring housing in the
> future.

I like the looks of checkered cocobolo with double diamonds around the grip
screws.

As for the MSH, in the beginning they were straight like yours. Then the
1911-A1 had the palm bulge, and was the standard for decades. Then sometime in
the last 20 years, shooters in the various practical pistol competitions
settled on the flat MSH.
In my 1970s thinking, I was considering buying a different gun or buying an
arched MSH, and my buddy Andy, IPSC shooter for a couple of decades, said "No,
you definitely want the flat MSH". So I've never tried the arched housing.

On modification that reduces felt recoil a tad is to replace the long radius
firing pin stop with one more like John Moses Browning intended. The cavalry
guys rode with empty chambers and had trouble racking the slide on horseback
without thumbing the hammer back first, and the radiused FPS was put on the A1
guns or maybe even earlier, to give the slide more leverage over the hammer in
cocking the gun. The drawback to that was earlier opening of the breech and
higher slide travel speeds because the hammer didn't resist the slide movement
as much.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=710810

I put an EGW FPS on mine, the oversized one that you have to hand fit to the
slide, and just knocked the square edge off the bottom corner where it hits the
hammer, trying to duplicate JMB's 0.050" radius. Since it was oversized, I also
got one that fit precisely to my slide when I was done filing. It didn't take
many strokes of the file to get it to fit my slide.
I bought the blued one, but here's a good deal on the Stainless one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182823076622