You will notice with a lot of TV that the accents are deliberately neutral.
They don't really want you to identify where they are. Most people on the
street in the USA have much more of a regional sound than most television
characters. It never ceases to amaze me that folks in Grand Forks North
Dakota sound different than we do. They are about as far away from the
US/Canada border as we are but they have a definite US sound that we do not.

I have a cousin who lived in Kentucky for a few years and when she came back
she had assumed the sort of southern drawl that y'all tend to use. She has
now lived in Minnesota for many years and has lost the southern sound.

My wife has relatives (uncle and aunt)in Vermont or New Hampshire (can't
recall as they have moved back and forth between the two states a number of
times in the past 30 some years - I think they are back in NH). Uncle Lee
sounds like the Kennedy folks. He was raised in Ohio but has lived in New
England so long that he has assumed the local sound I guess.

Always interesting to me. I have a number of old English clients who have
been here more than half of their lives. The British sound has stuck with
them throughout. They have not adapted to the more local sound - at least to
my ear. However, they say that if they travel to England, the folks over
there think that they sound "american".

Randy B