Dave M. wrote:
Hi Michael,

A quick peek at the EPC shows that there is really only one part
number for springs for your car. It would help if you specified which
chassis... there was a 280SE W108, W111, and W116 (and maybe more).
The free length of the spring as measured when not installed will NOT
be the same as the length measured when the spring is installed on the
car. So, you can't really compare without removing the spring. What
you can do is look at the bottom coil, there should be a part number
stamped into the spring itself. We can check that against the EPC and
determine if you have the correct springs installed in the car. I'm
pretty sure the front & rear springs would not be interchangeable,
unless they are the same diameter, which would be unusual.

Replacing springs in an older Mercedes is often an exercise in frustration. If you go to the TDM for your car you will find pages of listing for springs that were available when the car was manufactured. The proper spring depended upon the particular accessories were included on your car. Even after all of that, there were at least two different spring (color coded) for each configuration that require different pads to properly set height.

As time since production of the car passes, the number of different springs actually available for replacement dwindles and thus getting precisely the original spring height may be impossible and setting the height becomes an art and NOT a science. It's matter of trying different pads with the springs you have and making a LOT of measurements. Trying to do it by eye is hopeless. I have dozens of post from people that have tried (at dealers, independents and on their own) and the number that have achieved what they set out to do I can count on the fingers of one hand with a few fingers left over.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi