Ad is gone.

In general, much like the W140, stay away from R129s prior to 1997.  1997 and
later had so many improvements that they’re almost different cars than the
earlier models.  The improvements themselves were minor, but collectively they
go a long way to making a much better and more reliable car.

My 1997 SL500 has been near bulletproof, and it’s driven by the roughest driver
(wife) in the house.  I rarely touch it outside of regular maintenance.  It’s
been a great car, which surprises me, as it’s got the worst history of any MB
I’ve owned.  Maybe it appreciates being properly cared for, who knows?

-D