The alternator belt on my 78 240D cannot be properly tightened because the
“rack and pinion” teeth on the mounting bracket are all worn. This problem left
me stranded on a trip from Boston to DC over a year ago. It’s an adventure I
described at the time but briefly, the belt flew off on the freeway. I got
towed to flaps where I replaced belt in the rain but could not adequately
tighten due to worn teeth. I drove to dealer over an hour south where they took
me in on an emergency basis  to get me back on the road. They tightened the
belt with much difficulty and would not guarantee work as parts needed
replacement which they didn’t have on hand. I drove the car until a couple of
weeks ago when belt loosened to the point where battery would no longer charge.
I ordered new parts from classic center totaling $150. Just got them in today.
Planning on installing next week when it “warms up”.

Sent from my iPhone