SWMBO had the third kind, with the little studs in rubber. The studs got lost.

The middle kind look best, but I've never seen them for sale, however i doubt the univ would have liked people tromping down the "Halls of ISU" (its a drinking or (marching band) song) in those things. So the yaktrax were a reasonable compromise.

Craig via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 18:57:27 +0000 (UTC) Curt Raymond via Mercedes

Those things are helpful, some more than others.

When I was at Los Alamos National Laboratory, we were given some Yaktrax
to increase safety (see first picture attached). They are described as
having abrasion-resistant 1.2 mm steel coils for superior grip on packed
snow.

They are lousy on glare ice because the coils do not bite into the ice.

If you want something for ice, it would be better to get something like
the second or third pictures attached.

Craig