Kaleb -

  Thanks for the note. Wish I could figure out where the coolant is going -
perhaps the heater core has a small leak, as I do smell antifreeze for a moment
or two when I first turn it on. Can't figure out why radiator tank should be
pressurized from that, though. It is a small PITA because periodically the temp
gauge just rockets up. Will have to check coolant level when I fill up I
suppose.

  Will check into it further and let you know if I need a rebuilt head.

  Thanks again,
  Karl

"Kaleb C. Striplin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I doubt you have any head/gasket problems. If you did you would be
going thru coolant more often than that. As far as the mileage goes,
there are many other things that would cause a drop in mileage before a
head gasket would. If you still want a head I have them available.

Karl Wittnebel wrote:

> 1985 300TD has high pressure in the radiator tank even when cold. Runs low on
> coolant, but only about twice a year, no visible leak. Mileage has decreased
> from 26 -> 21mpg, no detectable loss of power. Performed coolant chemical
> test for leak, which was negative.
>
> Is this the head gasket? If so, anyone have a rebuilt head they'd like to get
> rid of? Not in a big rush to fix it, but would like my 26mpg back!
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,
84 190D 2.2, 83 300TD, 81 300TD, 81 240D, 81 240D,
76 450SEL, 76 240D, 76 300D, 74 240D, 72 250C, 69 250
http://www.striplin.net

 Yahoo! Mail