I am thinking that is a possibility, as the PO said it turned over when the transmission was taken off. So likely a valve is stuck. In the morning I will try to clean it off on top and pull the valve covers. I may be able to soak and work a valve from on top to get it free.

Anybody out there that can point me to a M116 engine manual?

The borescope I have only wants to work with an android phone/tablet, which I don't have. I can get it to show a picture, but It needs android to turn the light on
OK Don via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
February 2, 2018 at 7:47 PM
Perhaps a valve rusted in the open position? Using a bore scope would tell
you whether you need to pull heads or not.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY7C9ZW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1