On Mar 17, 2006, at 8:34 PM, Luther Gulseth wrote:

Side to side play against the shaft.  I didn't try along the shaft.

Did you see oil in the housing? The shaft runs on a film of oil in bushings, it needs some room for expansion but .030" seems excessive.

Valves are adjusted, around 4,000 miles ago.

That doesn't say much, a tight valve(s) will give low compression readings. You have to check them and a few other things before condemning a head gasket.

  Coolant's clear and golden.
Could the head gasket go bad in between 1 and 2 without opening up a
coolant pasage?

Sure it can but it is not common that there is no trace of combustion contamination in the coolant. You could have stuck rings. Would you pull your pistons before doing a proper diagnosis?

I don't know the geometry of these engines well enough
yet.

At only 159,000mi you shouldn't have to be finding out. Do you have any history on this car? Have you had this car any length of time? Did it suddenly start drinking oil? Is there any oil showing outside the engine? Spots on driveway? Turbo wet with oil on the exhaust impeller side? Was it ever overheated? When was its last Italian Tune- Up? How does it run? Is the pad under the dash soaked with oil? Is there oil in the vacuum lines for the shut-off box?

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am