That is the M116 popcorn popper engine, very rare

--FT

On 3/13/18 4:38 PM, Curley McLain via Mercedes wrote:
OK Youse Guyz with M116/M117 experience:

Today I got back to that M116 that is not stuck, but won't turn over completely on 2 pistons TDC.  It turns about 330-345 degrees.

I cranked up the BIG compressor and blew air in the 2 offending holes, (plugs out).  Out of the one  on the left bank pops......

....Wait for it! .......

. ......

POPCORN!

Yep, yellow popcorn kernels.    Coming out of the 3rd hold back on the left bank.

The plugs and plug wires did not appear to be disturbed.  The distributor was out, presumably broken/bent in the collision, or possibly robbed shortly after the accident.

HOW COULD POPCORN GET IN THE CYL IF THE PLUGS WERE NOT DISTURBED?????

Presumably the only other way was through the open intake valve. The spring loaded "valve" on the top of the engine (where the air cleaner covers the intake) was in place, and there did not appear to be any popcorn there.  I will start to pull the stuff off the top of the engine tomorrow, to see if I find any other clues.

When I cleaned the engine outsides, there was no popcorn evident.

Is there something in the engine valley under the fuel distributor that meeses can chew through to store popcorn in the engine?

The big air horn appears to be intact.  the air hoses appear to be intact.  (in all cases, as far as I can see with the top of the engine assembled.)

--FT