I suspect you dodged a bullet.  I'd drain the oil, then pull the small
removeable side panel off the oil pan, and fish out the offending
marbles with a magnet.

On 3/18/06, ned kleinhenz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I can't find any little bearings on the failed pump.  Are they supposed to
> be in the cam follower?  If so, I may be in trouble, because that whole cam
> assembly disintegrated. Where do the bearings go when the pump fails? Do
> they fall through that small opening where the timing chain comes through?
> Do I have to overhaul the whole engine to look for and remove these little
> bearings from the entire oil system?

Casey
Olympia, WA
Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state"
'87 300TD intercooler (212k)
'84 300D (211k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (187K)