Common wisdom is that the cheap class was made to be pretty robust, as they
were the usual choice for the taxi fleets and if taxi drivers hated them
and talked them down, then MB's reputation would suffer.  I don't know how
true that is, but if that holds true then I'll bet a C-wagon in good shape
with maintenance records is a good bet.  I did have a buddy who bought a
similar era C car, used, and loved it for the ride and comfort (stepping up
from some Ford product) but quickly found out that maintenance was way more
expensive than what he was used to , so he got rid of it.

Max
Charleston SC