The glow plugs are not working right.  Properly functioning plugs would heat up
enough that you would only need turn the key and it would light off.  No more
than a second for the starter to spin it up.  If there is cranking going on,
either the battery is low, the starter is junk, or the glow plugs are not
working

clay

1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei
1982 300 SD - Allen

retired models-
2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored crap
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers