  Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 00:30:54 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT was bird in star, now bicycle wheel drops off
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 3/20/2006 12:19:31 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Well I  have had that happen to me on a bicycle once. The thing is the
weight
of  the bike will keep wheel on till you try to do a wheelie. Thus on a
street  bike you would never bee doing a wheelie. When I tried to do
the
wheelie on  the bicycle I was not going fast and ended up talking in a
higher
pitch  voice for awhile.
Non-believers,

It was over 50 years ago when I was riding my bike home from  school.
A nice
easy down hill grade on the main street of town.  I usually come off
the road
via the driveway of our neighbor's house and  pop a little wheelie as I
ramp
up onto the sidewalk.  Oh yea!!  you  guessed it.  The front wheel
dropped off
and the forks made grooves in the  sidewalk that I bet are still there.
God
protects fools and children as I  somersaulted over the handle bars and
landed
on the sidewalk, still carrying a  fair amount of speed!  My feet hit
first
and took a lot of the impact off  and I ended up with only a few
scratches on
my hands.

I don't remember if that bike had the little safety hooks that retain
the
front axle, (this was the early 50s) but if they did,  I surely took
them  off .
  I was all the time adjusting and/or replacing those bearings.  OSHA
who?

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ