I seem to remember something about Kaiser/Fraser using large number of parts
from other sources rather than manufacturing them in-house. I remember that
they used Continental Red Seal engines, but I never knew what they were used
for otherwise. Seems like they were manufactured in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
Gerry

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:46:02 -0400
Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> Understood, but the concept of a car being assembled from disparate parts
> from other suppliers, that is, having a Ford engine and a C4 transmission
> clearly identified as such, for example, but it not being in a Ford, was a
> concept alien to me at the time.  Certainly I knew there were kit cars, but
> manufacturing on the scale of AMC with that approach was something I had
> never considered, that’s all.
>
> That and having been raised in an all General Motors household, too.  At
> least until Dad left GMAC in 1969 and immediately bought a Dodge Monaco.
>

> -D
>
> On Apr 26, 2018, at 4:37 PM, G Mann via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Many of the component parts used by the "Big 3" were outsourced and
> > supplied by component manufacturers.... Those same outsource suppliers sold
> > parts to other car companies, including foreign car companies, routinely.
> >
> > No big surprises there.
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 1:08 PM, Dan Penoff via Mercedes <
> > mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> >> With a father who was a former GM VP, I knew nothing about AMC vehicles
> >> until my buddy’s family got them.  I remember being amazed that they were
> >> made up of components from the Big Three in some cases.  I had no ideal
> >> that the Big Three would sell component parts or that another company would
> >> assemble a car made out of other people’s stuff.
> >>
> >> -D

> >> green. The other, and the Pacer were that sort of caramel colour.
> >> transportation.

---
http://www.avg.com