Save yourself some time and jack the engine up and remove the mount on that
side.  I did one starter on a 190, got it out by dropping it, nearly brained
myself, but never could figure out the trick to getting it back IN.  Next to no
room, ended up jacking the engine and removing the mount.

Only take a minute or two, and with the mount out of the way, it's an easy job.

In my case, the starter was really OK, but the flywheel was buggered.  Not my
car, so it left on a dolly for someone else to deal with.

Peter