Just got back from Austin, TX trip driving the 85 300D  It performed flawlessly
and was a very comfortable and enjoyable trip. It took me about 23 hours each
way with a 3 hour nap in the middle.  Interestingly my MPG was better on the
way down than on the way back.  Probably due to a trailing wind on the way down
and a head wing on the way back.  Also, I was driving an average of about 5
miles per hour faster on the way back.

Spent the week helping my daughter around the house and property.  She is
leasing a 2.5 acre lot and is operating a Musicians Hostel.  She has one home,
one studio,  3 small out buildings, 3 travel trailers, a large garden and about
a dozen chickens on the property.   All of this in the north end of the city.
It is quite the setup!  She has 4 long term guests as well as several others
that only stay a couple of days or a week at a time.  Not something I would
enjoy, but to each their own.

This daughter is the one who loves the older Mercedes.  She drove my hand me
downs over the years. A 1973 220D and a 1981 300TD.  The 220 was crashed into
and rusted away.  The 300TD rusted away and is currently donating
parts(including engine and transmission) to an 85 300TD that will be ready to
drive in a month or so.  Her favorite and mine was the 220D.  She is currently
driving a 1990 Chevy conversion van who’s body is showing its age.  The engine
is the reliable 350 V8 with about 180,000 miles on and going strong.

Mike