I did do it direct in the port not in a usb adapter. I did download the SD format tool and it showed the same thing. Makes me more inclined to believe it is a ripoff. Got it on Ebay but my money was refunded when I complained.

Max Dillon via Mercedes wrote:
Are you mounting the card as an SD card, or with USB adapter?  When I had to
format a big SD card, I had to download a tool and mount the card with a USB
adapter, and then I had no problems.  I don't remember the name of the tool,
but it was a free download and provided lots of formatting flexibility (sector
size?).