Craig McCluskey wrote:
What years/models were affected by the biodegradable wiring?

The biodegradable wiring commenced with NEW configurations that were initiated in the early '90s. The W140 "S" class cars got biodegradable wiring in '92 when they were first introduced. The 124s got it in gasoline models when the M104 engines were incorporated. The diesels got it when the OM606 engine was introduced. 124s with M102/103 and OM601/602/603 engines never got them). I don't believe the 201 was ever afflicted. I don't know about the 202s. I haven't heard ANY reports of 202s suffering from bio-degradation (they have a very good record of reliability).

As to when they ended - not sure they ever did (Mercedes are ALL equipped with biodegradable harnesses), but they seem to have been improved to the point where the caused fewer problems by 1996 or '97. The wiring harnesses that Mercedes sells today as replacements are said to be identical (they carry the same part number I'm told) to the ones originally installed, but are expected to last at least 10 years even under harsh conditions.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi