Sometimes you just need a mental health day.  That was today…

Decided I would tackle replacing the leather on the seats in the 400E.  Got the
passenger side done in a few hours.  With the seat out I removed the headliner,
which, despite my efforts from a few weeks ago, has begun to sag already.  Poo.
 I stopped by the shop that our MB dealer uses for such things, a place that’s
been in business for about 30 years, and they said they would do it for $185 if
I carried the headliner in.  So the headliner goes in the back of the wagon to
get dropped off tomorrow.

I’ll have photos on the blog later tonight, but I wanted to mention something
while I thought about it…

If you’ve never taken the covers off of a Mercedes seat, you don’t know what an
ordeal it is.  Most people think it’s just a matter of sliding the cover over
and putting the cardboard strips back in their grooves.  There’s a lot more to
it, as the seat material has wires woven into it that are secured under the
seat pad to give the seat its shape.  The tucks and grooves in those seat backs
and bottoms are anchored form inside using wires and plastic or nylon clips.

These can be a real ordeal to get released or put back in place.  I’ve done it
previously with a very long needle nosed pliers, but that’s a PITA and doesn’t
work well.  You know what does the job, and elegantly and simply at that?

A dash cluster puller hook.

This is just one more use for these tools I’ve found since I bought a set.
They make pulling the wires and anchoring clips so, so easy it’s amazing.

More details later.

-D