Yes its a union thing. Autonomous trains have been possible for decades now.

Flawed as they may be, and as deceptive as the advertising is, the
collision avoidance stuff is probably saving more lives than it takes, by a
large margin. But I have driven the Tesla and was so unimpressed by the
otto pilot that I went and leased an x5 instead. Unlike the tesla it has a
range following radar. Works pretty well but not perfect either.

Teslas got rid of lidar. Nobody else thinks that is possible.

Waymo is way mo advanced than the rest. They will have driverless minivans
for hire deployed this year or next I think; only company to be even
remotely close to that.