I wondered about that too.

I looked endlessly for a decent 6.3 or 6.9 about 15 years ago but couldn't
find one that wasn't crapped out so gave up and instead "settled" for a
300SE L 3.5 that had been well looked after.  The 3.5 was plenty quick and
expensive to maintain, and quite satisfying to own and drive despite it
being painted in their most popular - and my least favorite - color, tobacco
brown :((  I restored it into concours condition and later sold it to MBNA
credit card company for use in their promotional parades.