From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Dave M.
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:21 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [MBZ] An SL for wifey?

The SL320  / 300SL will have the M104 engine... nice motor, it has the
usual issues with head gaskets like most of the M104's, don't think
there's anything else major to worry about. The SL500 / 500SL will
have the M119 engine, which is a real powerhouse... no major problems
there, but usually due for a timing chain & rails by 150k (and it's
not as easy or cheap to do as our old diesels). The M119 is a fairly
expensive engine to maintain, though... not that the M104 is cheap,
but the M119 is a notch above. The 500SL had mechanical (KE?)
injection from 90-92 and then bumped up to the electronic LH injection
starting in 1993, IIRC.

If your wife doesn't care about power (and you don't either), I'd
stick with the SL320. If one of you wants a *fast* car, get the SL500.
Drive both and let us know how you like them! I'd love a late R129
SL500 'Silver Arrow' edition with the AMG Sport package. Mmmm.....

:-)

-Dave M.