On 01/06/2018 1:29 PM, Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes wrote:
The other day it was not running well so I parked it. (Recall I had cleaned the
EGR when I got it and it would barely run and then it ran fine.) Tried to start
it a few days later and really did not want to start at all. It has a coupla
bad glow plugs but before it would start just smoke a bunch. I got a new fuel
filter but the one in the car was fine and fuel looked ok in the bowl so I left
it in there.

Today I got it to start after glowing and cranking a few times and it was
running pretty rough at lower RPM like below 3000 but fine over that. And
didn’t want to keep running at idle or up to maybe 2k.

I nursed it along a bit and it was belching smoke like it usually does at
start. It finally started running ok after a few minutes so I let it idle and
the smoke subsided too.  (Good against the skeeters though). Seemed to be
running fine and smooth after sitting awhile then but I have not driven it yet
to see how it is on the road.

I’m trying to figure out what this might be. It didn’t have a lot of fuel in it
when I got it so I filled it up. It ran fine for awhile but then started
running poorly. I was thinking bad fuel or clogged filter but filter looked
fine. I don’t know if there is another one like a tank filter. Doesn’t look
like there is a clear one like on the 617 just the main canister filter.

I guess I’ll keep monitoring it and see what happens and try to think of other
issues. Bad or clogged injectors?  Fuel pump? I don’t know enough about these
moderne things to think or look for other simple problems.

Any thoughts welcomed.

--R

Have you checked the compression numbers?
Sounds like what my old car was doing before I adjusted the valves.

RB