The low end big box John Deeres are an abomination to the John Deere name, I
think.

Just about any of the big box retailer tractors are junky, so I don’t think it
really matters.  I would go low end, like a Murphy, and just use it until it
pukes.

Walk behinds are the same way.  I got tired of going through the $200 self
propelled walk behinds every 3-5 years so when I bought my current home I went
to the local Honda power equipment dealer and bought a really nice Honda walk
behind.  It cost exactly the same as what it would have at Home Despot, only
these guys took the time to go over the operation with me and answer any
questions I had.  I can carry it in and they can repair it within a week if I
need to.

That was seven years ago.  I just finished cutting my grass a little while ago
with it.  Other than gas and regular oil changes, the only thing I’ve done to
it was put a new set of blades on it a few years ago.  And you can imagine how
brutal we are on lawn mowers down here - that’s a year round thing.

-D