Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Curt Raymond via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> Date: 2018-06-09  6:22 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Mercedes
Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com> Cc: Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [MBZ] OT: Cub Cadet loader update
You might remember I had pulled my Cub Cadet 1650 apart a couple weeks
ago.Today the parts were all in so I had at it. The steering box replacement
was pretty straight forward, the replacement box was filthy and the nut on the
end is stripped, awesome. The eBay seller shall be hearing about that. I think
I can take the box off the new one and combine it with the shaft of the old
one. However I wanted to get the engine installed so I just stuck it in, maybe
I can thread the shaft down a size, its big though, probably not a die I can
buy at the hardware store.
I did the "engine cradle modification" which puts a stiffening bar into the
cradle which is normally just two parallel bars held together by the engine:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1746/40891092010_6f378230d4_b.jpg
The welds came out pretty good. I like using the flapper wheels of sandpaper
for cutting back welds.
Painted and installed:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1755/41801204515_b3914464fb_b.jpg
If you look careful you can see where a chunk was taken out of one of the bars
at some point. I was thinking I might weld a piece in but decided it'd be
difficult to accurately locate the hole that goes there. As I got it there was
a piece of metal that sandwiches between the bolt and the cradle and grabs on,
I figure 3 bolts plus that will be okay.Speaking of the 3 bolts, when I got it
one was broken. This gave me the opportunity to use my still relatively new
Harbor Freight drill press and Cleline drill bit set. How have I survived this
far without a really good drill set? The bolt drilled like butter and came out
easily with a stuck bolt extractor:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1744/28826752718_ee21bf06b7_b.jpg
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1746/41982505374_45e0ff5422_b.jpg
There is a special place in hell for whoever designed the engine mount system
on the Cub Cadet 1650, its a careful jigsaw puzzle that requires contortions
from hell. As far as I can tell to install the front axle absolutely has to
drop, I couldn't find any wrenches or sockets that would fit into the bolts.
With the axle down the front bolts are trivial. The axle isn't hard to remove
but its annoying and an extra step I could have done without.
Right now I'm taking a break, I can't remember how the exhaust mounts or how
the throttle and choke linkages work, fortunately all the manuals are online.
If I ever have to take this engine out again I'll pull the loader and put it on
an older tractor, I can see why the Cub Cadet guys say the Quietline machines
were the beginning of the end, the serviceability sucks big time.
-Curt