Agree wholeheartedly!  I had a 78 Malibu w/a smallish V8 - the engine (not the transmission) ran great but all the other bits of the car had been "cheaped to death" as you described, I especially disliked the fasteners - mostly flat sheet metal w/a little hole and a twisted piece of metal in the hole to grab the bolt (barely).  they always seemed too strip way to easily.

That car was a good car, but without the cheapy-ness it would have been much better.  I'm sure there were more things I disliked but it's been 30+ years..  ;-)

LarryT