A farm went up in our area recently. None of these concerns were show
stoppers actually. Any farmer would be happy to farm around them if the
price is right.

The wake issue means no field would ever have more than one or two
turbines. Maximum.

The problems accrue mainly from the way revenue is shared. Most fields in a
wind farm project have no towers at all. You sign on, and if they choose
your land for a tower, you get more money. If not, you receive a smaller
amount that might cover taxes on the ground, but not much more.

Many people would consider the no tower option a win. You give up some
development rights you would probably never otherwise use, and they might
need access to bury a power line across your field, or need to build a road
across, but all these features are compensated at specified rates per acre.

All cleanup procedures and removal criteria are specified in the lease in
the event the turbines are not used.

Older leases had issues because certain towers were preferentially shut
down when not needed, so if the agreement was revenue tied to a certain
turbine, and yours was shut down all the time when your neighbors was
operating, you would feel unfairly treated.

So there are all sorts of ways a person might feel it was a good or a bad
thing. South Dakota, incidentally, prohibits utilities from purchasing
power from individuals, which is such a rigged game it is laughable.

But I would say these and similar concerns take priority over whether wind
power is green or well founded or not in theory. Land owners will take the
money if the deal is felt to be fair. If someone else thinks they are
eyesores or difficult to remove, or thinks hurting the productivity of the
land is somehow problematic, then too bad. The leases are a bit complex and
it is a caveat emptor, long term deal, but that is no different than
mineral development rights  contracts have ever been.

On Aug 9, 2018 5:37 PM, "Curley McLain via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>